Friday, May 07, 2010

Dolphins and Bubbles

I went to the beach today with two friends and three bottles of bubbles - well, and my camera, too!

My self assigned directive for the day was to take pictures of bubbles flying through the air or resting in the beach grass.   That was the idea I had when I walked out the door.

I don't think I've ever had an interactive photo session quite like this one.  I had two friends blowing bubbles through those little bubble wands, and getting lightheaded in the process, while I tried to focus on a spot where the bubbles would happen to cross.  Oh goodness, I have a lot whole lot of digital nothingness because bubbles do not cooperate with the sea winds or at times, the lack of wind!


 For a little while we stood up on a wooden walkway and blew bubbles into the air and I took some photos of the bubbles against the railing.  This photo above was about the only one of those that turned out.  I really like it though. 




Then as we were going down to the beach someone called out - Look at the dolphins in the ocean!  I was so excited - I had never seen dolphins in the wild before.  I took a few dozen photos of them.



Then as I was editing the photos tonight I realized that a dolphin was showing herself in the water during one of the bubble photos.



Here are my bubble blowing friends.   I really liked the bubble blowing sticks, they had lots of circular holes in them, so you could get a whole lot of bubbles with one breath.  My friends still got lightheaded!  I was a bit of a task master.


I just noticed that there is a dolphin way back there in this shot, too! 


These bubbles were actually sitting on top of the water. 


 I tried to give this one a vintage feel in the editing process :) 

You can click to enlarge any of these photos.

I think the bubble project is going to be one that I'm going to come back to.  I bet I can get some good shots of my nieces blowing bubbles!  and I bet they'd love doing it too.

I hope you've had a great day!
Kristin

5 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

I love the bubble pictures! I always have such a hard time getting pics of dolphins in the wild, you did great.
I have a picture of my youngest daughter blowing bubbles that is one of my all time favorites.

Judith Bridger said...

...to keep from getting light headed...just wave the wands through the air.......tons of bubbles! That is the way Stella does it!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Interesting and different. Love the vintage one. How exciting to see the dolphins :)

Mrs4444 said...

These are awesome shots! I love the first bubble shot. Are you sure those are dolphins? They look more like sharks to me!

Anonymous said...

how fun. the taskmaster lololol. I like that you captured some dolphins not even realizing it. That would be a really fun project with your 2 adorable nieces. maybe traverse city beach in october?