Thursday, May 13, 2010

Out with Dust Bunny Hostage


I visited with my sister today.  Well, she isn't really my sister in the sense that we have the same parents, but she's become like a sister to me...with a southern accent.  It was none other than Jennifer, Dust Bunny Hostage.  Funny thing, her kids have a southern accent, too!  I gave a little giggle when they started talking :)  It's funny, they must have been raised in the South!

Well, anyway, I got Jennifer to take a ride with me in my car today and we went on a tour of her city and the surrounding area.


This photo was left in GIANT size so it can be clicked on to see the city in the background.  This is Mobile Bay just behind the Original Oyster House restaurant, where I asked to be taken for lunch.  I was quite demanding when I arrived as I was terribly hungry.  People who know me in real life know that when I'm hungry I must be fed :)  She learned quickly and she survived.




After lunch she took me to see some pieces of sculpture that she sees all the time as she's driving by but has never stopped to take a look.  I'm guilty of that too in my own town.  This time though it was our mission to stop and take pictures.  The photo above is only a portion of the story, but you'll have to come back in a few days to see all of it.  This is just a teaser.   I will tell you that it's a basketball player and a basketball hoop.



Then we found this very interesting sculpture garden inbetween two roadways.  At first I thought it was a park, but it wasn't.  It was all kinds of interesting pieces of art.  Some was very cool and some were just odd.  I didn't get the 10 foot high rectangles.  Oh well.



I did like the keyhole and Jennifer and I took turns getting our picture taken in it.  I can't believe I wore my sunglasses in the photo - I rarely keep them on for a photo, so it's just odd to see me in them. 



I made Dust Bunny lean into the keyhole, too.  She tried the peeking around the edge type of photo and I took that picture, but I wouldn't stop nagging her until she stood in it just like me.

OK, so I didn't really have to nag, I pretty much just said "Do it!" and she did.  She's learned to listen to her older sister :)  ahhh, I'm teaching her well.



As I was leaving her home, many many hours after I first arrived, I just had to snag a photo of the gorgeous succulents that she has in her front entry.   The hens and chicks came from her grandmother I do believe.  I've never grown any in Florida, but the ones that I had growing in Michigan were always very pathetic looking.  These look like their much more sophisticated cousins!   


Jennifer has this gorgeous little turquois bench, no bigger than a few feet, in her front garden.  I loved it!  I think she said she found it at a thrift store, but we got interrupted and I honestly can't remember where she said she found it. 

What a great day I spent with Dust Bunny Hostage.  I feel very very fortunate to have been able to meet up with her several times in the past year.  In the next day or so she's going to come to the condo where I'm staying and she's going to meet my biological sisters.  I'm actually going to introduce her to the family! :)  It should be a lot of fun.

Have a wonderful weekend! 
Kristin

6 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

Love the pictures! I hope we can all meet up sometime, since I'm not too far away.

LAC said...

Before I forget, thanks for turning me on to a new blog to read. I am always hunting for new friends. DBH seems like a great gal, I love how you didn't realize the kids would have accents. It would have surprised me too, honestly.

Have a great weekend.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

SO jealous of you two that I missed the fun! But so happy that you got to meet up and have fun. Love y'all! Have a wonderful weekend.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How wonderful to have a such a sweet friend in your life "sister" who you met through blogging. Sounds like it was a perfect day.
Love that keyhole! Hope your weekend is perfect.

Anonymous said...

she actually looks like she could be your sister. i like the foliage and I look forward to the "rest of the story' on the BB player and hoop.

j said...

I read this post already in my reader and didn't comment. I know, that's lousy manners. I'll be a better blog friend (and human being in general) after this move is over.

I enjoyed being with you so much! I've thought about it often and talked about it more (why yes, my family is a little tired of me remembering out loud).

I love that your sister told me that I didn't HAVE to do what you said. She just didn't realize how refreshing it was to have an older sister boss me around :)

Come back soon - we'll do it all over again!

Oh! The bench came from a yard sale. It had a tag on it that looked like it said 5 dollars but it was actally 15. I offered less and the lady wouldn't take it. I left the bench behind and went home. It was driving me crazy because I REALLY wanted it. Soooo, I went back to the yard sale and was relieved to find out that it hadn't been sold. I gritted my teeth and paid the full 15 bucks for it and here it is on your blog... Art!!