Saturday, May 08, 2010

Water Carafe

Once upon a time I was talking to my husband about a water carafe. I told him that I was sure that would be the perfect thing for his water that he kept by the bed. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I searched for an image for him to explain the concept.


The above image is a water carafe that I found through Google images. I was kind of surprised that my husband didn't know what this device was but he knew right away that he wanted one. So for the next few weeks I was on a mission to find one. I looked in thrift stores, antique stores, department stores and every place else I could think of, but couldn't find one.

Then one day I went to get my mail and there was a package from a company called Merri Mail. They used to have a gift subscription service where they sent out a gift every couple of months.   I bought the subscription for my Mother-in-Law, my friend Bob, and my sister, Alison, as I recall.   I got one for myself, too.  My subscription service was over, but they sent me the current gift anyway* and guess what it was??  Yes, a water carafe. 

Ask and you shall receive.

It was just so cool to find the exact item I'd been looking for in the mail.

Well, the day has come that I need to look for another one. This morning my husband was having an awful dream. He said that a baby was drowning and he reached out to grab it and crash!! his hands flew out from the covers and knocked the carafe off the nightstand and it broke into a million pieces on the floor.

Thankfully he didn't get hurt and thankfully there wasn't a baby drowning! but we did have quite a mess to clean up.

Anyone know where I can find a water carafe?

I'll probably end up ordering one online. There seems to be a pretty good selection.


Have a wonderful weekend!

Kristin


*I am allergic to all things scented and two of the four gifts that they sent were scented and a third gift was a plant, which I couldn't have in the house because it was right after Tom's transplant and we weren't allowed any plants at that time.  I sent them an email telling them that the gifts were lovely and packaged beautifully and very cool, but I was so bummed that I had to give most of my gifts away because I couldn't use them.  It just so happened that the next gift, that was after my subscription ended, was the water carafe.  The lovely women of Merri Mail chose to send one to me anyway.  A few weeks later they closed their mail service and went on to other projects, but they always hold a special place in my heart.  It was such a nice guesture.

6 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

I have a problem with scented items too and it's so hard to find things without fragrance. Why does everything have to have fragrance in it?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a story. I can't believe how that turned out. Good luck finding one. Several years ago Hallmark had a lovely one. Of course I'm not sure you want to put one next to him again. We just keep water bottles next to our beds!

Margaretha Henry said...

I've found these in quite a few places, and on line, but have never purchased one for the very reason you stated...I just knew it would get broken! I'g go for plastic if I were you!

Mrs4444 said...

Funny story. Keep the new carafe on the floor, okay? :)

Anonymous said...

I love love good customer service. I'll look around up here - we have a couple of unique kitchen type stores. Too bad you didn't ask to buy one of those carafes from the boat ristorante - you wouldn't be having this dilemna LOL.

AlisonArtisan said...

I have seen Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel selling them through their catalogs/online before.